I am a designer, trained as a physicist. I combine my love for design, physics and computers to fabricate human centered programmable materials. I am PhD student at the interdisciplinary ATLAS Institute at University of Colorado Boulder where I am developing fabrication techniques for materials with controllable shape, stiffness, and color. I work with Carson Bruns , Greg Whiting , and Mark D. Gross and actively collaborate with Christoph Keplinger and Daniel Leithinger .
Earlier, I co-founded a nanotechnology company in India Log 9 Materials , (which focuses on manufacturing and developing commercial applications around Graphene) and a multidisciplinary Design Studio at IIT Roorkee. I hold a Integrated Master's degree in physics (with specialization in material science) from the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee. My portfolio includes research at various institutions around the globe including the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany and Bauhaus University Weimar, Germany. You can find more about my work and research projects below.
1. “ Electriflow: Soft Electrohydraulic Building Blocks for Prototyping Shape-changing Interfaces", Purnendu , Sasha Novack, Eric Acome, Christoph Keplinger, Mirela Alistar, Mark D. Gross, Carson Bruns, and Daniel Leithinger, 2021. In Designing Interactive Systems Conference 2021 (DIS ’21), June 28-July 2, 2021, Virtual Event, USA. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 10 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3461778.3462093 [pdf]
2. “ Soft Electrohydraulic Actuators for Origami Inspired Shape-Changing Interfaces", Purnendu , Eric Acome, Christoph Keplinger, Mark D Gross, Carson Bruns, and Daniel Leithinger, 2021. In CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Extended Abstracts (CHI '21 Extended Abstracts), May 8–13, 2021, Yokohama, Japan. ACM, New York, NY, USA 6 Pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3411763.3451590 ” [pdf]
3. “ Graphene-Based 3D Xerogel as Adsorbent for Removal of Heavy Metal Ions from Industrial Wastewater ”, Purnendu , Soumitra Satapathi, 5, 2, 96-102,2017, Journal of Renewable Materials. (Link)
1. METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR MULTI-MATERIAL VARIABLE RESOLUTION PALMTOP 3D PRINTING; Purnendu , Carson Bruns, Mark D Gross [Provisional Patent Application No 63/061,653 (pending)]
2. A GRAPHENE BASED TOBACCO SMOKE FILTER AND A METHOD FOR SYNTHESIZING GRAPHENE COMPOSITION; Akshay V. Singhal, Purnendu : WO 2017187453 A1 (Link)
3. DEVICE AND METHOD FOR REAL-TIME THICKNESS CONTROLLED SPIN-COATING; Sawhney Nipun, Purnendu , Soumitra Satapathi : E-106/43/2016/DEL/201611039173 (Patents pending)